Rev  John  Livingston 

 The  stories  of  the  Covenanters  and  the  bloody  Killing  Time  understandably  focus  on  the  western  shires  of  Scotland  but  it  must  be  remembered  that  there  were  Covenanters  in  other  less  glamorous  parts.  Such  was  John  Livingston  of  Ancrum  in  the  Border  country  with  England. Here  too  the  persecutors  caused  the  removal  of a  gentle  man  from  his  ministry  in  October  1662.

 John  Livingston  was  born in  Kilsyth  in  1603, the  son  of  William  and  Agnes Livingstone,  minister  at  Kilsyth  and  later in Lanark.  One  of  seven  children the young  John was   raised in  an  environment  of  piety  and  meekness  on  his  mother`s  side  and  his father a zealous  worker  for  the  Reformation.  As  a  schoolboy  in Sterling  he  was  a member  of  the  church, although  his  early  inclination  was  to  be  a  doctor.. His  parents  were  kind  and  generous  and  enjoyed  giving  hospitality  to  Christians  visiting  the  area, so  he  was able  to  meet  many  notable  men and  women of  the  time. His  mother, however, died  when he  was  fourteen, and  she  only  thirty  two.  He  continued  his  education  at  Glasgow  College ( as the University was called )  graduating  in 1621 and  in  1625  turned  to  the  ministry -  where  he  soon  encountered  persecution. For  a  while  he  stayed  with  his  father  and  making  visits  to  preach  when he  was  asked. In  April 1626  Lord  Kenmuir in Galloway  sought  him to take  the  parish  of  Anwoth, but  he did  not  do so nor  was  he  successful  in a  call  to  Torpichen the following  year. He  then  accepted  invitations  to  preach  in  Lanark, Irvine,  and Newmilns 

1630  seems  to  have  been  a  year  of  change  and the turning  point for  John  Livingstone. In  June  1630  he  was  asked  to  step  in  at  short  notice  for  a  preacher  at  Kirk o Shotts  which  he  reluctantly  did.  On  30 June  the  virtually  unknown  young  man stood  on a  gravestone  and  began  his  preaching. As  he  approached its  end  the  Heavens  opened  and  there  was  a  downpour  which  threatened  to  break  up  the  meeting.  But  such  was  Livingston`s  powerful  presence  that  the  assembled  crowd  stood  a  further  hour  as  he  used  the  conditions  to  demonstrate the  despair  and  horror  of  fire  and  brimstone  in  God`s  judgment  upon  them. It is said  that  over  five  hundred  people  felt  a  change  in  their  attitudes  as  a  result  of  the  Kirk O`Shotts  revival.

 A  youthful  and  able  speaker, although  diffident  about  his  abilities,   he  was  sought  by  several  congregations  to  be  their  minister but  in  the five  years  to 1630  he  found  none  as  on  each occasion  his  way  was  blocked  by  the  Bishops.  His  first  parish  was  an  Irish  one, at  Killinchy, County Down  This  came  about  through a  meeting  in  Irvine, Ayrshire  with  the Rev  Robert  Cunningham  of  Holywood, near  Belfast  and  earlier with  the Rev  George Dunbar  of  Larne ( formerly of Ayr  and  a  prisoner  at  Blackness for a while ). Both  had  enquired  if  he  would  be  interested  in  going  to  Ireland  and  he  had  indicated  on both  occasions  he  would  go  if  he  received a  clear  call  and  free  entry.

 About  August  1630   he  received  an  invitation  from  Viscount Claneboy  to  go  to  Killinchy in Ulster to join the growing band of Presbyterian ministers there. At Killinchy  he  was  well  received  by  the  congregation  and  had  to  be  ordained. To  achieve this  he  went  with  letters  to  the  Rev Andrew  Knox, Bishop  of  Raphoe  who  well  knew  what  was  required and  after  discussion  gave  Livingston  a book  of  ordination  with  instruction  to  mark  that  to  which  he  objected. The price  sought for  ordination  was  that he  should preach  at  Ramallen  where they  got  but  few  sermons.  He  found  that  the  book  had  already  been  marked  and  did  not  have  to do it  himself, thus  with  his conscience clear,  he submitted to the Rev Robert  Cunninham  and  some  other  ministers  to  ` imposition  of the hands `  and  ordination for  the  ministry at Killinchy.

 Persecution, however, soon  came  upon  him  through  the  vindictiveness  of  the  Irish  Bishops. With  Robert  Blair  he  was  suspended  by  the  Bishop  of  Down  for  nonconformity.  They  were  eventually  allowed  to  return  to  their  ministry  in 1632  following  intervention  with the King  by  Lord  Castlestuart.  In  November  1635  he  again  fell  foul  of  the  Bishops  and  was  again  suspended  then  excommunicated.

With  this ongoing  persecution  of  the  Presbyterians  and  no  early  solution  in  sight John  Livingston  was  instrumental  in  negotiations  with  landowners - the  Clotworthy  family  especially,  and  John  Winthrop, son  of  the  Governor  of  Massachusetts  concerning  a  plan  to  emigrate. From  the  plan  came  the  building  of  the  ship  the  Eaglewing   and  the  attempt  by  some  140  brave  souls  to  seek  their  promised  land  in 1636. Unfortunately  for  them  they  were  forced  to  return  by  bad  weather  and  John  Livingston  was  returned  to  the  Covenanting  fold but  not before  baptising  a  child  born  on  the  return  trip  to Michael Coltheard  and  his  wife, naming  him  Seaborn. - reminiscent  of  the  child  Oceanus  Hopkins  born  on board  the  Mayflower. in  that  epic  voyage  in 1620.

 For  some time Livingston  continued  to  discharge  his  duties  privately, residing  at  the  home  of  his  mother  in  law, Mrs  Stevenson  who  owned  the  iron  furnace  at  Malone, twelve  miles  from  Kilinchy  where  he  continued  to  preach  almost  every  Sabbath.  However, a  warrant  was  issued  for  his  arrest  and he  retired  to  Irvine  on  the  Ayrshire  coast., from  where he  went  to  Edinburgh.  In March 1638  he  went  to  London  but  the  King  had  apparently  heard  he  was  there  and  he  again  had  to  retreat  and  return  to  Scotland  by  a  circuitous  route  to  avoid  any  pursuers.  On  5  July  1638  he  was  admitted  as  the  minister  at Stranraer .  While  here  its  is  recorded, that  large  numbers  of  people  came  from  Ireland  to  take  Communion  from  him,   on  one  occasion there  was present in  excess of  500  people  from Co  Down.

 He  had  his  home  at Stranraer for  ten  years  before  he  was  sent  at  the  order  of  the  General  Assembly  to  spend  fourteen  years  at  Ancrum in  Teviotdale. He  found  the  work  at  Ancrum  hard  going  having  to contend  with  an  ignorant  and  loose  living  peoples and it was  some time before  there  were  sufficient  to  take  Communion.  During  this  time  Livingston  became  a  regular  representative  of  the  Church  and  was  among  those  sent  to  treat  with  King  Charles  at  Breda  in  Holland in 1650  for  the  security and  liberty of  religion. It  was  not  a  task  he  enjoyed  as  his  was  a  method  of  `  moderation  and sweet  reasonableness `  often  considering  that  his  colleaques  at  times meddled  too  much  in  government, or  kept  too  many  meetings  that  rendered wider the  Church`s  divisions.  Livingston, who  distrusted  the  King  anyway, had  his  fears  confirmed  with  observation  of  the  King  still  using  the  Service Book  and  leading  a  dissolute  life.

 Somewhat  diffident  of  his  own  abilities, Livingstone  was  nevertheless  a very  able  scholar  with  a  passion  for  books. He  knew  Hebrew  and  Chaldee  with  some  Syrian; he  was  familiar  with  French, Italian, Dutch  and  read  the  Bible  in  Spanish  and  German,  although  he  was  forestalled  for  a  while  in  his  desire  to  learn  Arabic  by  its  sheer  complexity.  What  such  a  linguist  might  be  able  to  charge  for  his  services  in  the  modern  world  one  can  only  guess   Livingston  had  other  hidden  talents.  As  a  young  man he  had  a  melodious  voice  and  enjoyed  singing  and  was  often  summoned  by  the  Principal  John  Boyd  when a student at  Glasgow  to  sing  ` setts of  musick `. In  later  years  he  did  not  sing  much, neither  did  he  partake  often  of  another  pleasure - that of  hunting.

 Although  appointed  to  attend  on  Cromwell  in  London  during  1654 , and  latterly  on  the  army, he  did  so  reluctantly  and was  glad  to  return  to  Ancrum  and  his  parishioners. When  King  Charles II  was  restored  to the throne  in 1660  he  foresaw  that  trouble  lay  ahead  and  in 1662  it  duly  happened.  A  proclamation  was  issued  ordering  all  ministers  from  1649  who  had  not  celebrated  the  holiday  of  29 May ( to celebrate the King`s birthday  and  Restoration )  to  acknowledge  the  prelates  or  be removed  from  their posts. He  left  Ancrum  and  lingered  for  a  while  in  Edinburgh  where  he  learnt  that  a  summons  to  appear  before  the  Council  would  probably  result  in  banishment  ( rather than execution )  and  he  appeared  before them on  1 st December 1662. He  declined  to  take  oaths  and  was  sentenced  to  remove  immediately  to  the  north side  of  the  Tay  and  to  leave  the  Kingdom  entirely  within  two  months. On  9  April 1663  he set  sail  for  Rotterdam.

  In  the  years  of  his  banishment  he  remained  very  active  and  on  many  occasions  preached  to  the  Scottish  congregation  in  Rotterdam. He  was  joined  by  his  wife  and  two  children  in  the  December  leaving  five  children  behind.  He  was  asked  three  times  by   the  General  Assembly  to  write  the  history  of  the  Church  of  Scotland   since  the  Reformation  of  1638  but  declined  to  do  so  Instead he set  himself  the task of  revising  the  Latin  version  of  the  Old  Testament, comparing  it  throughout  with  the  Hebrew  version. He  intended  to  publish  it  with  parallel  columns  in the  two  texts  but  circumstances  prevented  it although  as  a  scholar  he  had  pleasure  in  the  task.

 He  was  probably  seen  at  his  best in two  places; firstly  in  Killinchy  where  incredibly  his  stipend  was  a  mere  4  a  year  yet  there  was  always  a  happy  welcome for  all. . He  had  married in 1635   Janet the  eldest  daughter  of  Bartholomew  Fleming, an Edinburgh merchant . She  was  a  great  support  to  him through  the  lean  years  and  the  later  troubles. Indeed, after  he  was  gone, she  was  the  leader  of  a  group  of  women who in 1674  made  representations to  the  Earl of  Rothes  for  fair  treatment  of  ministers  which  resulted  in  her  banishment  from  Edinburgh  for  a  while.

The  other  place  where  Livingston  was  at  his  best  was  in  the  pulpit. Diffident  as  ever  about  his  abilities  his  practice  was  to  make short  notes  beforehand  and  to  enlarge  upon  them  when  the  time  came.  He  sought  balance  in  his  sermons  and  at  times  indulged in   a  ` childish  rudimentary `  as  he  described  it , aware  not  to  be  too  clever  nor  to  omit  the  telling  saying  or  word  picture  that  summed  up  his  point. Throughout  his  sermons  he  was  said  to  have 

 ` the  eloquence  of  the  spirit  and  a  throbbing  affection  for  the  Heavenly  Lord  and  the  souls  of  men.`

 From  about  1664  he  suffered  continuously  with a bladder   problem , he  could  not  walk  far  and  had  shaking  hands  that  made  writing  difficult. It  was  perhaps  a  blessed  release  when and  on   9 August  1672  he  died  in exile leaving  us  his  solemn  declaration:

  I die  in  the  Faith  that  the  truths  of  God, which  he  hath  helped  the  Church of Scotland to own, shall  be  owned by  him  as truths, so  long  as  the  sun  and  moon  endure .


Home Scottish Reformation The Covenanters Ulster Scots English Reformation European Reformation General Topics & Glossary My Books & Bibliography Contact