Edinburgh  Castle -  a  Legacy  and  a  Memorial

 

St Michael, carving suspended from the roof.

Most  people  of  Scottish  origin  will  have  seen  the  towering  edifice  of  Edinburgh  Castle  either in  photographs, travel  magazines  when  planning  the  trip  to  the  ancestral  home  or on  film  or  television  when  the  Edinburgh  Tattoo  is  taking  place.  But  it  is  not  only  a  legacy  from  turbulent  times  but  also  the  site  of  the  Scottish  National  War  Memorial 

The  origin  of  the  castle  goes  back  to  Edwin, the  seventh  century  king  of  Northumbria  who  probably  had  a  fortress  on  the  rock.   Malcolm  III  of  Scotland  erected  a  wooden  fort  on  the  rock  in  the  11th century  and  later  kings  built  stone  walls  with  inner  buildings. Several  times  the  castle  was  held  by  the  English, Edward I  used  a  form  of  the  Roman  ballista  or  catapult to  hurl  rocks  at  the  walls  and  seized  it in 1296. In 1313  it  was  taken  by  a  party  of  30  Scots  who  scaled  the  walls  and  caught  the  guard  by  surprise. While Robert the  Bruce   dismantled  it  only  for   Edward  III  of  England  to  rebuild  it  in  1337.  The  castle  has  been  the  scene  for  many  a  gruesome  event  and  also  of  daring.  In  1440  the  young  Earl  of  Douglas  and  his  brother  were  lured  there  for  a  banquet  and  were  seized  and  beheaded. Some  fifty  years  later the  Duke  of  Albany escaped over  the  battlements  using  a  knotted  rope  - he  must  have  been a brave man, and probably desperate,  as  it  is  an  awful  long  way  straight down !.

It  was  here  that Mary  Queen  of  Scots  gave  birth  to  the  future  King  James VI  (James  the  First  of  England )  on 19 June 1566. She  is  alleged  to  have  said   `This is the son  who  shall first unite  the  two  kingdoms  of  Scotland and  England `  - her wish  came  true  in  1603.  The  castle  was  the  scene  for  a desperate  defence  by  British  soldiers  when  the  Jacobite  rebels  seized  Edinburgh  in  1745. Within  the  castle  walls there  are  today  several  important  buildings including  the  Great  Hall  with its  collection  of  weapons  and  armour. The  Honours  of  Scotland  as  they  are  called - the  Crown, Sceptre  and  Sword  of  State together  with  the  Stone  of  Scone  are  in  the  Crown  Room. And, of  course, there is  the  famous  One  o`clock  Gun  which  is  fired  every  day  except  Sunday  at  precisely  1.00 pm.

With  such  a  history  it  is  little  wonder  that  the  Castle  was  used  for  military  purposes  until  the  end  of  the  First  World  War. But  even  before  the  Armistice  was  signed it  had  been  decided  that  the  castle  would  not  be  needed  for  a  large  body  of  troops  after the  war. In July  1919  the  recommendation  was  made  that  there  should  be  a  dedicated  shrine on  the  Castle Rock  although  it  was  not  until  1924  that  the  work  got  under  way.  A  great  deal  of  planning  went  into  the  project and  old  materials  from  demolished  buildings  were  combined  with  the  best  of  Scottish  arts  and  crafts  to  create  what  is  undeniably  a  worthy  memorial  to  some  100,000  Scots  who  perished  in  the  Great  War.

Mere  words  cannot  describe  the  quality  of  the  workmanship  that  went  into  the  structure, the  sculptured  stoneworks, the  stained  glass  windows, nor  a  magnificent  bronze  frieze.   There  are  two  essentially  different  parts  to  the  Memorial  -  the  Hall  of  Honour  which  is a focus  for  record  and  remembrance; and, the  Shrine  which  is  for  the  more personal  prayer  and  remembrance  of  loved  ones.  Each  has  its  own  quite  unique  features.

EdbCasket.jpg (58144 bytes)The  Shrine  contains  the  Casket, made by Thomas Hadden and donated by their Majesties King George V and Queen Mary, is set  upon  the  bare  rock  tip  that  is  the  castle  foundation. In the Casket are  the  Rolls  of  Honour  of  the  regiments. Overlooking  all, carved  in  Scottish  oak  and  suspended  from  the  ceiling  is  a  magnificent  figure  of  the  Archangel St  Michael stern  of  face, representing  Righteousness  overcoming  Wrong.  The artwork and design of the Casket is magnificent but pride of place must be the bronze frieze than runs round the shrine. Designed by Morris and Alice Meredith Williams, it contains some sixty representations of the men and women of all ranks and services who served in the Great War.

There  are  seven  stained  glass  windows  which  together  portray  in  three  groups  :- the  birth  of  War  on  the  west  wall; the  overthrow  of  War  in  the  east  wall  and  Peace, Thanksgiving  and  Praise  to  God  in  the  northerly  windows.  Around  the  walls  frieze.jpg (46363 bytes)beneath  the  windows  there  is  the  stunning  bronze  frieze  which  depicts  the  various  types  of  Scottish  soldiers, sailors, airmen, nurses  in  their  battle  dress  as  they  lived  and  died.  All   Scotch  regiments  and  services  in  which  they  served are  depicted, and  even  the  animals - the elephants, horses, dogs, canaries used in tunnelling safety checks, and  carrier  pigeons  have  not  been  forgotten. Enlarged images of the frieze are here. Frieze1   Frieze2 Frieze3.

The  Hall  of  Honour  also  has  eight  beautiful  stained  glass  windows  but  they  are  more  of  the  functional  kind. They  are  of  paler  glass  and  include  the memorials  to the  Navy  and  Air  Force, the  war  at  Home, as  well  as  the  Four  Seasons. The  long  walls  of  the  Hall  are  pillared  and  separated  into  small  sanctuaries  dedicated  to  particular  regiments. Each  is  similar  yet  with  an  emphasis  that  is special  to  those  whose  memory  it  preserves. There  are  two  bays  where  are  commemorated   amongst  others  the  Padres, the  Womens` Services, the  Mercantile  Marine, the  Royal  Artillery. the Royal  Engineers,  the  Royal Army Service Corps,  the  Royal Army Medical Corps  and  the  Yeomanry.  

Most  symbolic  of  all  perhaps  is  the  carved  Pelican  above  thePelican.jpg (27616 bytes)  Porch   piercing  her  breast  for  drops  of  blood  to  feed  her  young,  to  remind  us  of  the  self  sacrifice  of  those  commemorated  here. So  remember  too  that  these works  were  created  by  Scottish craftsmen, in  homage  to  Scottish  sons  and  daughters, husbands, wives  and  lovers and  is no  less  than  a  Memorial  to  Scotland  itself.  

 When  you  go  home, tell  them  of  us  and  say
`For  your  tomorrows  these  gave  their  today `.

                             John Maxwell  Evans  1875 - 1958.   

Reveille, part of the Royal Marine Memorial.

 

Two poems by Wilfred Owen

The Green Fields of France by Eric Bogle

Images enhanced from tinted photographs in "The Scottish National War Memorial" Introduced by Gen. Sir Ian Hamilton (1932).

Home Scottish Reformation The Covenanters Ulster Scots English Reformation European Reformation General Topics & Glossary My Books & Bibliography Contact